Here are a few reminders from the Dept. of Health on how to protect yourself from this disease:
- Use a mosquito repellent containing DEET, Picaridin or oil of lemon eucalyptus whenever outdoors. Even spending a short time outdoors can be long enough to get a mosquito bite. Follow use instructions on the product.
- Wearing the right clothing can help reduce mosquito bites. When possible, wear long-sleeves, long pants and socks when outdoors.
- Be aware of peak mosquito hours. Peak mosquito biting times are between dusk and dawn for many species of mosquitoes.
- Limit the number of places around your home for mosquitoes to breed by getting rid of items that collect water, including toys, bird baths, old tires, buckets and other items that might hold standing water.
- Make sure doors and windows are screened if you keep them open and repair any damage to screens.